Immigration Questions: (954) 382-5378
  Immigration News & Updates              eNewsletter

Tell a friend about this page

Learn More About:

Add this page to your favorites.

Add this page to your favorites.
Immigration News & Updates eNewsletter ©  2011  - 2016 
For questions about U.S. Residency, Green Cards and Immigration Visas, Visit our Website at: or  call our office at: (954) 382-5378
Questions & Answers
Question: Hi, I just became a naturalized American citizen and have been dating my fiancée in Jamaica for about 2 years. We are ready to take the next step to get married, so we want to know how long the process is going to take for her to get her green card so she can immigrate to America? What are the procedures?
This Week's Immigration News 
By Immigration Attorney Caroly Pedersen
Answer: It depends upon whether your soon to be wife has a U.S. tourist visa. If she does not, then once you get married and the spousal petition is filed to sponsor her, she will undergo a process called “Consular Processing”. As part of this process, the case is properly prepared and filed with the USCIS inside the U.S.. The process takes about 6 months for approval. Once approved, the USCIS transfers the case to the National Visa Center (NVC) to prepare your wife’s case for the U.S. Consulate in Kingston, Jamaica. The Financial Affidavit and other documents must be provided to the NVC at this point and once the case is complete, the NVC transfers the case to the U.S. Consulate to schedule your wife’s interview. She will be required to have an immigration medical exam, then personally appear for the interview with certain required original documents, including documents which prove your marital relationship so that the Consular officer is convinced that the marriage is real. As long as the interview goes well, she will be issued the Immigrant Visa and given a packet to bring with her to the U.S. to give to the Immigration authorities when she enters the U.S.. Prior to entry, an Immigrant Visa fee must be paid online and the receipt presented at the time of entry. After she enters the U.S., she should receive her Green Card within about 60-120 days.

If your wife has a tourist visa and is in the U.S., the process is called “Adjustment of Status”. Once the Residency case is properly prepared and filed with the USCIS (along with the request for work authorization and includes the Affidavit of Support and other required documentation), your wife will receive her Work Authorization and Travel Permit within about 90 days. It then takes approx 3-4 months for her to receive her Residency Interview at the local USCIS office which you both attend together. You’ll be required to bring extensive documentation about your marital relationship and answer questions to prove that your marriage is real. As long as all goes well, your wife should receive her Green Card within about 15 days after the interview.

Important USCIS News & Announcements
Helpful Immigration Hints You Can Use
Beware of IRS Scam - Don't Become a Victim!
Nearly All 2016 Nobel Prize Award Recipients Are U.S. Immigrants
MyUSCIS Provides You With Immigration Case Updates
If any doubts about the benefits of Immigrants to the United States existed before, one only needs to look at this year’s Nobel Prize Awards to understand the importance of their contributions to our Nation. Of the seven 2016 Nobel Prize winners, six were first-generation immigrants to the United States, winning awards in the areas of chemistry, physics and economics. 

This is part of a trend since 2000, with 40 percent of all Nobel prizes being earned by American Immigrants in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and math. 

Read more about this year’s U.S. Nobel prize winners:
Upcoming Naturalization Swearing-in Ceremonies Scheduled In Some South Florida Locations:
The USCIS recently released the following list of upcoming Naturalization Swearing-in Ceremonies Scheduled in some South Florida Field offices for November:

Miami Field Office – November 18  
Hialeah Field Office – November 10 and 19
Kendall Field Office – November 10, 18 and 19
Oakland Park Field Office – November 18  
Updated Form Released For Immigrants To Request The Return of Original Documents:

During the course of the Immigration process, Immigrants often mistakenly submit original documents to the USCIS, believing that the documents will automatically be returned. But of course the USCIS does not return original documents, except in response to a formal request to do so. Form G-884 is used to make a request for original documents to be returned. 

New USCIS Office Opened in Fort Myers, Florida:

A new USCIS Field Office has been opened in Fort Myers, Florida. The new Office serves the following areas in South Florida-
Charlotte, Collier, De Soto, Glades, Hendry, Lee, Okeechobee, Highlands (city of Venus), Miami-Dade, (city of Ochopee), Sarasota (city of Englewood, Venice & North Port).
Question: I am 27 years old and my U.S. Citizen wife is 42. We were living in Canada together for nearly 5 years and just recently got married. We moved to Florida last week and want to legalize my immigration status. Our only concern is whether there will be a problem with the U.S. Immigration service approving my case due to our age difference?
Answer: You should be fine. As long as you are a real couple, married for love, not for immigration, and your Residency case is well prepared and includes extensive joint marital documentation to prove your marriage is real, your case should be approved. The main problem couples have in marriage immigration cases is failing to understand what the USCIS expects from them to prove a real marriage. Couples often use their own logic, not the reality of what the USCIS is expecting. This is especially true when they have other factors which do not fit the standard marriage case, for instance when couples are different ethnicities or when there is a significant age variance. The best advice is always to prepare your entire case to meet even the most extreme USCIS expectations, so that even if you are assigned the toughest USCIS officer, you will be successful, because you will be prepared. Let us know if you want us to represent you in obtaining your residency.
Authorities recently arrested 70 individuals in a call center in India, accused of perpetrating a scam in the U.S., by impersonating IRS agents and demanding payment of taxes and penalties under threat of arrest. These kinds of scams frequently target Immigrants who are unaware of U.S. laws and do not generally know that the IRS never demands payment over the phone. The IRS has issued notice to consumers to be aware of such scams, including scammers who call or send emails pretending to be a government official. The IRS notes that it will never request payment over the phone.

​Find out more about IRS Scams
Immigration How To:
How Do I Sign Up For USCIS Email Case Status Updates? 
If you have an Immigration case pending with the USCIS, you can now sign up on the USCIS website  for Email Updates

Email updates allows you to get automatic updates whenever any action is taken on your case. CLICK HERE to sign up for USCIS Email updates.