Immigration Questions: (954) 382-5378
  Immigration News & Updates              eNewsletter

Tell a friend about this page

Learn More About:

Add this page to your favorites.

Add this page to your favorites.
Immigration News & Updates eNewsletter ©  2011  - 2016 
For questions about U.S. Residency, Green Cards and Immigration Visas, Visit our Website at: or  call our office at: (954) 382-5378
Questions & Answers
Question: Hi, I have a f2b case, for unmarried son of green card holder. Is there a law that says I need to contact the NVC once a year? Does it mean that now that our case is in NVC, we should contact national visa center once a year, even if they don’t ask us for anything? Thanks
Answer: No, the policy is that once a visa becomes available to you in the F2B category, you have to contact the NVC at least once per year in order to avoid your case being cancelled. It does not apply to Immigrants who’s priority dates have not yet been reached. I hope this is helpful to you.
This Week's Immigration News 
By Immigration Attorney Caroly Pedersen
Donald Trump’s Anti-immigrant Rhetoric May Be Inspiring More Latinos To Naturalize – Just So They Can Vote Against Him!
As reported by the New York Times, Donald Trump’s anti-immigrant rants may actually be driving millions of Latino Residents (Green Card holders) to file Naturalization applications in order to obtain U.S. Citizenship to vote! Reports are that Naturalization applications have increased by 14 percent since Trump entered the Presidential race and began calling Mexicans “rapists” and “drug dealers.”  

According to a recent Washington Post poll of the Latino voters, some 80 percent had an unfavorable view of Trump, with more than 7 in 10 expressing a “very unfavorable” impression of him, more than double the percentage of any other major candidate. 

However, given Trumps anti-immigrant stance as a whole, most Immigrants, even non-Latinos may reasonably be wary of a Trump presidency and should consider Naturalizing in order to cast their vote in this - one of the most pivotal Presidential elections in recent memory. 
The Supreme Court recently set an, April 18th court date to hear oral arguments from both sides in the Texas case challenging President Obama’s Executive Actions on immigration. The case, United States v. Texas, involves a challenge to Obama’s 2015 Executive Actions on Immigration for Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA) and expanded Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) programs.

Texas and other states who joined the action against the government contend that the programs would increase their costs for healthcare, law enforcement and education and that such Executive Actions exceed the President’s authority. The Obama administration argues in part that such actions are within the presidential prerogative and do not exceed his executive authority. Stay tuned…
Question: I became a naturalized citizen in January, and filed an application to sponsor my parents to immigrate to the U.S.. I just got the notice from the U.S. Immigration service, form I-797 Notice of Action for I-130 and it only has my name and my mom’s. It does not mention my dad. I put my dad’s information on page 2 of the I-130. Shouldn’t the case include both my parents?
Answer: No, unfortunately, even though a U.S. Citizen can sponsor their parents, both parents are not included on the same application. Parents are in a special category of immigrants called “Immediate Relatives” (Spouses, Parents and Minor Children of U.S. Citizens) which have the benefit of being exempt from quotas (waiting lines), but the drawback is that family members sponsored in this category can only immigrate alone and cannot bring “dependents” such as a spouse or minor children. This applies to your case. When you sponsor a parent, only the parent named in the petition is sponsored and any spouse your parent has, even your own biological parent is not included. The only way to sponsor the spouse of your parent is to file a separate petition to sponsor that parent. It is true that the form I-130 requests information about your parent’s spouse and children, but not to enable them to immigrate along with your parent, rather simply for technical informational purposes. To sponsor your dad, you’ll need to file a separate petition for her, just like you did for your mom.

You can learn more about sponsoring your parents by visiting our website at:  and clicking on the Immigration Newsletter link or by calling our office at: 954-382-5378.

Timing is important, however, since the increase in application filing could result in USCIS delays processing of Citizenship cases of 4-5 or more months, so Residents are cautioned not to delay in applying, in order to have time to become Naturalized and register to vote before the deadlines this Fall.

Read More About the Increase in Naturalization applications as part of the  Trump-effect:

Washington Post
The Supreme Court Schedules Court Hearing 
On President Obama’s Executive Actions 
on Immigration
The USCIS recently provided a scam alert to help Immigrants avoid falling victim to fake High School Diploma scammers. Some unscrupulous companies on the internet sell fake high school diplomas which are worthless and have no educational value. 

The so called “diploma mills” claim that their diplomas can be used to enroll in college, apply for a job, get a promotion or enlist in the military, when in fact they are just worthless documents. Here are signs of a high school diploma scam: Common signs of fake diploma websites: Website just wants you to pay just for a diploma. Real education programs may charge for classes or testing, but they usually do not charge just for a diploma, You can earn the diploma from home immediately. If you can earn the diploma without taking any classes or tests, it’s likely a scam and They claim to be affiliated with the federal government. Individual states -- not the federal government -- regulate high school diploma programs. 
Scam Alert: Fake High School Diplomas 
Read more about fake diploma scams:

What to look out for
​High School Diploma Scams
Helpful Immigration Tips You Can Use
Read The State Department’s Visa Bulletin 
Released For April 2016
The Visa Bulletin released by the State Department each month details the current waiting times for Immigrant Visas in Family and Employment Immigrant Petition cases.

You can view the current Visa Bulletin for April 2016 by clicking on the link below:

April Visa Bulletin
Immigration How To:
How Do I Know If I Qualify To Apply For Early Naturalization?
Eligible U.S. Residents who are spouses of U.S. Citizens can apply for Naturalization early and obtain their U.S. Citizenship in only 2 years and 9 months.

Most U.S. Residents (Green Card holders) must wait for 4 years and 9 months before being eligible to apply for Naturalization. However, qualifying U.S. Residents who are married to U.S. Citizens are eligible to apply 2 years earlier, called “Early Naturalization”. To qualify under this expedited U.S. Citizenship process, a U.S. Resident must fall under what is commonly called the “3/3/3” rule. 1) The U.S. Resident must be married to their U.S. Citizen spouse for at least 3 years and 2) their U.S. Citizen spouse must have been a U.S. Citizen for at least 3 years and finally, the U.S. Resident must have held that status for at least 3 years (really 2 years and 9 months). 
So, as long as the U.S. Resident meets these requirements and is not only currently married to, but continues to reside in a real marriage with their U.S. Citizen spouse – they can apply for early naturalization… now you know ...
You can learn more about qualifying for Early Naturalization by visiting our website at:  and clicking on the Immigration Newsletter link or by calling our office at: 954-382-5378.